Sunday, July 18, 2010

Banana bread/cake

Our local greengrocer was having a huge sale on bananas about a month ago... While I don't actually like fresh bananas I totally couldn't pass up this offer for the prospects of cake baking! I froze all the bananas as soon as I got home and have been using them gradually for baking... which is fun when you already have all the ingredients and don't have to go out!

I found a relatively simple recipe on Smitten Kitchen and reproduced it using what ingredients we had - for instance, I ground my own cloves then passed them through a sieve before baking. We also had no nutmeg so I added a little more cinnamon instead.

Ingredients:
5 small ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted salted butter
3/4 to 1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
1 1/2 cup of flour

First I defrosted and smashed the bananas, then mixed them in with the melted butter. I added the brown sugar, beaten egg, vanilla essence, cinnamon and ground cloves, and mixed around with a wooden spoon. I then sifted the baking powder on top of this mix and stirred it in. The flour went in last and I stirred it until it was a relatively thick consistency and all the ingredients were uniformly distributed. I greased the edges of a bread tin (20cm x 10cm - but smaller might be better in future) and put the mix in, spreading it out as evenly as possible. I then baked at 175C for 45mins - or until a tester comes out clean - and turned out onto a plate.

Best served buttered!

No comments:

Post a Comment